TPG completed a development feasibility study that included a preliminary Housing Needs Assessment for the redevelopment of the Te Puea Memorial Marae (TPMM). The Housing Needs Assessment identified the current and future housing needs within the South Auckland region and informed the number and typologies for public housing on the Marae.
The TPMM Housing Needs Assessment included:
- Assessment of legislation, central and local government requirements
- Investigation into the housing market and drivers for South Auckland, including interest rates, house prices, sales volumes and tenure demand
- Investigation into housing demand and supply market factors including incentives and barriers of entry
- Assessment of market affordability, demographic composition and trends, including rental, owner and investor markets
- Investigation and assessment of how law and lore (Tikanga of the Marae) can provide an efficient and effective end to end social service provision to all whanau kainga kore.
This Housing Needs Assessment supported TPG’s recommendations to TPMM to develop new public housing, and for the wider redevelopment of the Marae to contribute towards reducing the housing supply gap in South Auckland.